7.29.2008

Dr. Horrible and other cultural phenomenons

While I'm don't know much about blog etiquette I feel like I should apologize for not posting here for a time. I'm still alive and kicking. If you were worried about that, then see my post below about worrying. You might want to take some time and see what's at the root of it. ;)

Like most people, I find myself wondering where the summer has gone. I went on a wonderful vacation in Colorado where I enjoyed the mountains, shopped, read, and slept. It doesn't get much better than that! The temperature and humidity rose as we drove back to Kansas and I asked myself, "Why am I doing this again? It's so beautiful and unhumid in Colorado!" Since I've been back home I've discovered that Kansas is sometimes hotter (and most times more humid) than Saudi Arabia! One upside to this is that you don't get spoiled by the weather when you live in Kansas, it toughens you up!

As soon as I got back from vacation I started a seminary class called Cultural Literacy. As the name implies, we are learning to read culture. What do trends in a culture tell us about who people understand themselves to be? What do they tell us about their view of others? Of God? We are studying American pop culture as an example, but the questions we are attempting to answer can be applied to any culture. We've had some fascinating discussions and I feel much more ready to engage culture (my own and others) as a result.

Just last night we learned about Mixed Martial Arts (http://www.ufc.com/), Twitter (www.twitter.com) , and Superheroes. We watched part of an entertaining new superhero musical blog (http://drhorrible.com/). Topics slated for the rest of the week include online dating, road rage, increased anxiety, and others. I will keep posting tidbits...

No comments: